The area around the house and pool is planted with a variety of flowering and scented shrubs, attracting butterflies and birds. You will find vanilla plant, poincianas, white ginger; also small native species such as bromeliads, cordylines, rhoeos and ferns. There are also smaller palms such as the Foxtail Palm, Christmas Palm, Bottle Palm and Licuala.
hard landscaping is
with natural materials
~rocks, rock walls, timber & gravel steps
lower in the clearing you can wander
through the tropical fruit orchard ~
according to season you may see
Rambutans, Limes, Lemonades,
Soursop,Starfruit, Pomelos and others
Remember that you share the garden with the rainforest wildlife ~ there are no fences (except around the pool) so wildlife is free to wander in and out. If you're feeling adventurous, you can delve into the edge of the cool, dark rainforest yourself.... we plan to make some short walking tracks soon.
As well as the obvious vines and trees, look closely and you may find a fascinating array of fungi, green ants, scrub fowl, spiders, goannas.. the list is endless.
- be aware that cassowaries and wild pigs roam; these can be dangerous if alarmed or cornered
- NEVER feed cassowaries
- beware the "Stinging Tree" with its characteristic heart-shaped leaf
- look but don't touch - keep an eye on where you are walking (don't forget to look up as well as down or you will miss the canopy)
- don't get tangled in the "Wait-a While" or Lawyer Vine with its razor-like spines
- the rainforest is home to snakes, spiders & wasps too ~ such a rich environment
just listen to the sounds!
Click here to recommend this site to a friend